New to CF Phelps

Have a question about a C. F. Phelps WMA property, ask it here.

Moderators: HOPPER53, tomsp8, Griff

New to CF Phelps

Postby MONSTRO » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:57 pm

Hi everyone. I moved to VA last year and am getting ready for some bowhunting on the nice public lands here.

I went to Phelps this morning to scout a spot for later this week. It was my first time there. I had been looking at the map and thought that I would like to try the upper pipeline area. When I pulled in there were about 5 trucks already there....doh! I went to another spot and hiked in. I found a nice little spot, cleared a shooting lane and will return on Wednesday. I didn't see any deer, but saw some nice scrapes and I heard some turkeys off in the distance.

Later, I went up to that part of the WMA that is detached from the rest (NW) past the boat launch area. I didn'y go in very far, but that looks really nice in there. I'll check it out another time.....has anyone else hunted that plot?

Also, since I'm new to Phelps, are there any pigs ever seen there? I've heard there are feral pigs around Culpeper, so I figured maybe there could be some at Phelps too.
MONSTRO
Fawn
Fawn

Postby jamesb » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:30 pm

Welcome, I have never seen any pigs or traces of them in the past 2 seasons I have been on Phelps and when I bring my dogs up in the summer. I have never been to the upper tract, I stay mostly around the pipeline or way back along the river.
jamesb
Drop-Tine Buck
Drop-Tine Buck

Postby tomsp8 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:24 pm

Sorry, cant help you up there, but I know quite a few on the board do hunt there.
Just wanted to say welcome to the board.
Rem 1100 12 guage
Win mod 100 .308
Knight ML
Ruger 10/22
Browning Citori skeet gun
Reflex Timberwolf Bow
tomsp8

Postby ranger521 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:28 pm

That's one thing you're going to need to get use to. Alot of hunters that is. To me the property has just about everything,rolling hills, creeks, crops, hardwoods, and alot of cover for deer to hide. This is my second year hunting Phelps and I've never run accross any wild pigs, so you may be out of luck in that department. The range on the property is mostly a bonus also. Good luck!
Stick and String Hunter
ranger521
Drop-Tine Buck
Drop-Tine Buck

Postby mitchmtm1 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:39 am

Phelps is pretty big so don't think that you have to learn all of it before hunting it. My first year was mostly "hunting on the run".....I covered some ground and found some good spots and game.

Right now the deer don't seem to be traveling far, so sit the food source close to the bedding areas. The next three days are going to be HOT (temp. wise) so early morning hunts will probably be best.

Great news about hearing the turkeys.....I didn't see any at all last fall. The year before they were around and I almost got shooting at them a few times in archery.

I often talk with the manager(Joe) and a couple of the workers and according to them there are only maybe a sighting or two of bear there each year and none of pigs.
I have heard of pigs in Culpeper county also, but everyone seems to be pretty tight lipped about them.

Mitch
"This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. "---Ash (Housewares)

mitchmtm1
Guide
Guide

Return to C. F. Phelps